The following is a list of industry keywords commonly referenced when discussing Qualified Medical Evaluations (QMEs), Agreed Medical Evaluations (AMEs) and Independent Medical Evaluations (IMEs):
- Agreed Medical Evaluation – A physician who is agreed upon by both the injured workers’ attorney and the claims administrator provides this evaluation.
- AOE/COE Evaluation – Arising Out of Employment, and in the Course Of Employment – An injury or illness caused by a worker’s job and occurred during work.
- Cardiology / Cardiologist – Cardiology is the branch of medicine pertaining to the heart and the vascular system of the human body. A Cardiologist is an individual qualified to medically perform this medicine.
- Declaration of Readiness (DOR or DR) – A legal document used to request a hearing before a workers’ compensation judge when you’re ready to resolve a dispute.
- Dermatology / Dermatologist – Dermatology is a branch of medicine dealing with the skin and its appendages such as hair, sweat glands, etc. A Dermatologist is an individual qualified to medically perform this medicine.
- Otolaryngology / Otolaryngologist / ENT – Otolaryngology is the branch of medicine that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of ear, nose, throat, and head & neck disorders. A commonly used term for this specialty, although somewhat out of favor, is ENT (ear, nose and throat). An Otolaryngologist is an individual qualified to medically perform this medicine.
- Gastroenterology / Gastroenterologist – Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine where the digestive system and its disorders are studied. A Gastroenterologist is an individual qualified to medically perform this medicine.
- General Surgery – Despite the name, general surgery is a specialty focusing on surgical treatment of abdominal organs (e.g. intestines including esophagus, stomach, colon, liver, gallbladder and bile ducts), the thyroid gland, and hernias.
- Hernia Specialist – An individual medically qualified to diagnose and treat Hernias. By far, most hernias develop in the abdomen when a weakness in the abdominal wall evolves into an abnormality.
- Independent Medical Evaluation – An evaluation conducted by a physician selected by the judge or by the adjuster (depending upon state) to determine the cause of the medical condition, the permanent impairment of the injury, and/or the permanent limitations that the worker may have sustained.
- Internal Medicine – The branch and specialty of medicine concerning the diagnosis and non-surgical treatment of diseases in adults, especially of internal organs.
- Medical Expert – An individual recognized by the court who is qualified to provide medical testimony and/or evaluation.
- Medical Testimony – A legal appearance in which a medical expert will provide information regarding the medical condition, the permanent impairment of the injury, and/or the permanent limitations that a worker may have sustained.
- Mission Viejo Orthopedic Surgeon – An individual qualified to perform Orthopedic Surgery in the Mission Viejo area. See Orthopedic Surgeon.
- Neurology / Neurologist – Neurology is a medical specialty dealing with disorders of the nervous system. Specifically, it deals with the diagnosis and treatment of all categories of disease involving the central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous systems, including their coverings, blood vessels, and other tissue such as muscle.
- Neuropsychology (or) Neuropsychologist – Neuropsychology is an interdisciplinary branch of psychology and neuroscience that aims to understand how the structure and function of the brain relate to specific psychological processes and overt behaviors. A Neuropsychologist is an individual qualified to medically perform this medicine.
- Orange County Orthopedic Surgeon – An individual qualified to perform Orthopedic Surgery in the Orange County area. See Orthopedic Surgeon.
- Orthopedic AME – See orthopedic QME.
- Orthopedic QME – A Qualified Medical Evaluation to determine acute, chronic, traumatic, and overuse injuries and other disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons address most musculoskeletal ailments including arthritis, trauma and congenital deformities using both surgical and non-surgical means.
- Orthopedic Surgery IME – An IME performed by an Orthopedic expert. See IME.
- Panel QME – A Qualified Medical Evaluation that is provided by a panel of medical experts instead of a single medical expert.
- Psychiatric / Psychiatrist – Psychiatry is a branch of medicine which exists to study, prevent, and treat mental disorders in humans. A Psychiatrist is an individual qualified to medically perform this medicine.
- Psychological / Psychologist – Psychologists attempt to unravel the functioning of the brain as it is manifest in behavior. This is in contrast to the physiological approach used by neurologists. A Psychologist is an individual qualified to medically perform this medicine.
- Qualified Injured Worker (QIW) – An individual who has been evaluated by a medical expert and deemed unable to return to his or her usual job and working conditions, and who probably could find a suitable job after receiving vocational rehabilitation services.
- Qualified Medical Evaluator (QME) – An evaluation performed by a physician who is selected by either the injured worker, the worker’s attorney, of the claims administrator to conduct a medical examination and prepare a medical-legal report to help resolve a dispute. Qualified Medical Evaluations are certified by the state Industrial Medical Council.
- Spine Surgeon – An individual trained in the subspecialty of general surgery that treats the spine. More information can be obtained from www.spine.com.
- Urology / Urologist – Urology is the branch of medicine that focuses on urinary tracts, and on the reproductive system of males. Medical professionals specializing in the field of urology are called urologists.
- Vascular Surgery – Vascular surgery is a subspecialty of general surgery in which arteries and veins are treated. A vascular surgeon is trained in the diagnosis and management of diseases affecting all parts of the vascular system except that of the heart and brain.
Department of Industrial Relations – http://www.dir.ca.gov/
GuideOne – http://www.guideone.com/
Wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/