Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Board Certified, Pain Management, EMG and Sports Medicine
Empowering patients through medical knowledge. Restoring patient function
with dignity and compassion. My practice encompasses Electrodiagnostic
Medicine, Sports medicine, Interventional Spine, Movement disorders/Spasticity
and Pain Management. Inpatient and outpatient physical medicine practice.
- 2006-pres.Mechel Marie Henry, M.D. Inc., President and CEO
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Private Practice Physician. Sports, Spine, TBI, SCI, EMG, Geriatrics,
Pain Management and General PM&R
- 2004-2006Bay Area Orthopedics Sports and Spine, Partner
Sports and Interventional Spine Specialist
POST GRADUATE TRAINING
- 2001-2004Stanford University Medical Center
Resident Physician: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 2000-2001Graduate Hospital
General Surgery Intern: covering vascular surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, urological surgery, intensive care unit, radiology and emergency medicine
- 1996-2000University Of Texas School Of Medicine
Doctorate of Medicine
- 1991-1996University of Houston Honors College
Bachelor of Science- Biology, with Honors
Honors Thesis: Effects of Nitric Oxide on the Ileal Segment of the Small Intestines During Acute Endotoxin Shock
- 2006Board Certified:American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation www.abpmr.org/
Physician and Surgeon California Medical License, 2000
DEA United States, 2000
Fluoroscopy X-ray Supervisor and Operator, 2004
Qualified Medical Examiner State of California, 2005
University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 2021-pres.
California Rehabilitation Institute, Los Angeles, CA 2021-pres.
St. Francis Hospital, San Francisco, California, Attending Physician, 2014-2020.
Alta Bates Medical Center, Berkeley, California, Attending Physician, 2004-2020.
Association of Academic Physiatry
American Academy of PM&R
Henry, M., “Pain with a Twist: Cervical Dystonia is a common reason for shoulder
and neck spasms.” Advance for Directors in Rehabilitation; September 2007, Vol. 16, No. 9, p. 23-28.
Aiping F. Smith, MD, Wan Chi, MD, Mechel Henry, MD, Raj Mitra, MD. Use of
Ilioinguinal Nerve Block in Refractory Inguinal Neuropathy. Am. J. of Phys. Med.
Rehabili. March 2004; Vol. 83, No. 3:237.
Mechel M. Henry, MD, Aiping F. Smith, MD, Wan Chi, MD, Raj Mitra, MD.
Correction of Leg Length Discrepancy in Persistent Unilateral Arthritic Hip Pain.
Am. J. of Phys. Med. Rehabili. March 2004; Vol. 83, No. 3:244.
Mailman, D., Henry, M., Self, A., 1999 “Time and Surgery- dependent effects
of Lipopolysaccharide on Gut, Cardiovascular and Nitric Oxide Functions,”
SHOCK; 08-1999, Volume 12, No.3, Pages 208-214
- 2005Dr. Strudwick, Dr. Isono, and Dr. Henry discuss common sports injuries on the Oakland Raider Pre-Game show on KSFO,www.sportdrs.com/educational-resources/injury-of-the-week/
- 2003Rehabilitation and Disability
KRON 4 TV St. Mary’s Hospital San Francisco, CA
- 2005Super EMG week retreat with Ernie Johnson, M.D. Ohio State
- 2004-pres.Perform 200-250 electrodiagnostic tests annually
INTERVENTIONAL SPINE EXPERIENCE/MUSCULOSKELETAL ULTRASOUND
- 2012UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Radiology Ultrasound guided musculoskeletal course, Los Angeles
Sonosite Musculoskeletal Ultrasound guided injections, Los Angeles
- 2006Interventional Pain cadaver course on Vertebroplasty, Disc Decompression, Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation and Discography—Stryker, Mountain view, California
- 2004Interventional Spine Cadaver Course – Stanford University Medical Center
- 2003Interventional Spine resident training– Stanford University Medical Center
- 2008KCI wound vacuum and management course—Dallas, Texas
- 2013Corticospinal tract injuries, TBI and neurologic polytrauma, California Applicant Association, Monterey, California
- 2012“Pain Management: When is it appropriate and What it should entail?”, California Bar, Doctors Day Marina Del Rey and Oakland “The Light and Dark of Chronic Pain”, YogaWorks Santa Monica “How Bird Watching Can Save Your Life”, Rancho LaPuerta, Mexico “Underutilized sections of the AMA Guidelines”, California Applicants Association, Oakland, California
- 2011“Subrosa Video and what the Doctor Sees”, California Applicants Association, Las Vegas, Nevado
- 2010“Medical Apportionment in Orthopedic cases”, California Applicants Association, Berkeley, California “Corticospinal Tract injuries and the AMA Guides”, California Applicants Association, California
- 2009“Communicating effectively with physicians”, San Francisco Industrial Claims Association
- 2008“Musculoskeletal injuries and how they affect function”, California Applicants Association, Carmel, California
- 2008“Brachial Plexopathies diagnosis and treatment”, Physical Therapy Innovations (PTI)
- 2007“Traumatic Brain Injury and Associated Hearing and Visual Loss”, JT2
- 2007“Orthopedic Injuries of the Upper Extremity”, JT2 Integrated
- 2007“Corticospinal Tract Injuries”, California Applicant Association Convention, San Francisco
- 2007“Chronic Pain Management”, Hanna Brophy and Jensen
- 2006“Piriformis syndrome and running injuries”, PTI
- 2006“Boomeritis”, Physical Therapy Innovations
- 2005“Chronic Pelvic and Low Back Pain”, Physiotherapy Associates
- 2005“Correction of Leg Length Discrepancy in persistent Unilateral Arthritic Hip Pain”, Association of Academic Physiatrists
- 2004“Benefits of Pet Assisted therapy”, Stanford University
- 2004“Ossified Posterior Longitudinal Ligament”, Stanford University
- 2003“The Electrodiagnosis of Ulnar neuropathy at the Elbow”, St. Mary’s Medical Center, San Francisco, California
- 2002“Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis”, Stanford University
ADDITIONAL EMPLOYMENT/CONSULTING AND VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
- 2009-pres.Advisory Board Member and Health Educator Free the Children
www.freethechildren.com An international nonprofit where children help educate children avoid child labor.
- 2008-pres.Health Educator Women for Women International
www.womenforwomen.org/ Women’s health brochures and core education series helping women survivors of war rebuild their lives
- 2008Health Educator and Speaker Solstice Neurosciences Myobloc
Teaching Physician injection courses using live models.
- 2007Marketing consultant DePuy Spine— Edited recent content and illustrations for patient spinal education brochures.
- 2007Marketing consultant Quadra Communications— Provided medical
information and comparative data for strategic product development.
- 2001-pres.Physician for Rancho La Puerta Spa, Baja California, Mexico
Urgent and Emergency medical care provider at renowned fitness