Miami University (Oxford, Ohio), B.A. degree – 1955
Vanderbilt University (Nashville, Tennessee), M.D. degree – 1959
Butterworth Hospital (Grand Rapids, Michigan), Rotating Internship – 1959 to 1960
Ohio State University Hospital (Columbus, Ohio), General Surgical Residency – 1960 to 1964
Private solo practice since 1964, located in San Bernardino, California, specializing in general and vascular surgery.
PROFESSION-RELATED ACTIVITIES AND EXPERIENCE
In addition to maintaining a full-time surgical practice, I have been active in many organizations related to medicine as follows:
CALIFORNIA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
- Member since 1964
- Chairman of first Ambulatory Care Review Committee of CMA – Responsible for developing guidelines for review of ambulatory care. Worked with physicians from
community hospitals, university hospitals and Kaiser hospitals in developing acceptable guidelines for review.
- Member of CMA Peer Review Commission – As such, was responsible for applying and implementing guidelines developed by Ambulatory Committee to problem cases regarding peer review of delivery of medical care.
- CMA-JCAH Hospital Surveyor – Responsible for survey of hospitals to determine compliance with standards developed by Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation.
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY
- Active on many committees and board member for several years.
SAN BERNARDINO FOUNDATION FOR MEDICAL CARE
- Active member since 1964
- Board member since 1970
- President 1974 to 1975
- I participated in review of physicians= practice patterns and developed standards of review; developed and implemented formalized committee structure for review of delivery of medical care from aspects of quality assurance and cost containment; and assisted in development of review manuals. As president and board member, I directed activities of the Foundation and participated in negotiation with insurance companies and selection of personnel for the Foundation.
UNITED FOUNDATIONS FOR MEDICAL CARE
- I was active in UFMC as a delegate representing San Bernardino Foundation for Medical Care and later as a board member of UFMC, moving through offices of secretary, treasurer, vice president and finally president for the year 1983 to 1984.
UNITED PREFERRED PROVIDER ORGANIZATION, INC.
Founding President of PPO utilizing resources of 24 Foundations for Medical Care throughout the entire state of California to develop preferred provider network for insurance companies, self-insured employers, etc.
INLAND HEALTH PLAN
- I was a member of the Founding Board of Directors of this federally qualified HMO. I was the first Medical Director and was responsible for development of operations manuals, review mechanisms, and for soliciting and developing physician membership. I participated in negotiations with employers, employee groups and hospitals in the initial development of the plan, and I was responsible for development of review mechanisms to satisfy federal requirements for federal qualification. I was responsible for management of medical review coordinators and operations regarding the medical aspects of the plan. I resigned this part-time position to assume presidency of UFMC and the demands of my practice.
INLAND MEDICAL PROVIDERS
- Medical Director of 150-plus physicians IPA serving San Bernardino and member of Board of Directors since inception.
AMERICAN MEDICAL CARE REVIEW ASSOCIATION
- Board member 1982 to 1989
- Organization representing Foundations for Medical Care, HMOs and PPOs. Responsibility as board member involves development of policy to assist and direct member organizations in all aspects of development and operation from inception to influencing legislation at the federal level.
GREYSTONE MEDICAL GROUP
Disability evaluation and examinations – Part-time association with Greystone Medical Group performing examinations and evaluations on patients who have received work-related injuries and performing evaluation and treatment of surgically treatable injuries.
In addition to my activities as staff member, I have been on the Board of Directors of a 300-bed community hospital since 1968 and was President of the board in 1973, 1974 and 1975.
- City Councilman in 1977 B I was elected to City Council position of a city of 35,000 people and served until I moved from the community.
- Service club B Lions Club
- Board of Directors of Arrowhead United Fund
- Board of Directors of American Cancer Society, San Bernardino County
- American Medical Association
- California Medical Association
- San Bernardino County Medical Society
- American College of Surgeons
- American Board of Surgery
- American Society of Abdominal Surgeons
- Tri-County Surgical Society