Medical and Psychiatric Training
- University of California, Davis Medical Center 07/2011 to 06/2012
Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship
- Oregon Health and Science University 07/2009 to 06/2011
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship
- University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center 07/2006 to 06/2009
Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital
Los Angeles, California
General Psychiatry Residency
- The George Washington University 08/2002 to 05/2006
School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Washington, District of Columbia
Degree earned: MD
- University of California, Riverside 06/1997 to 07/2002
Degree earned: PhD, Organic Chemistry
- University of California, Riverside 06/1997 to 06/1999
Degree earned: MS, Chemistry
- Westmont College 08/1993 to 05/1997
Santa Barbara, California
Degree Earned: BS, Chemistry
Licenses and Board Certification
Board Certification in Psychiatry, Certificate #64401, issued in May 2012
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc.
- Private Practice 08/2012 to Present Newport Beach, CaliforniaProvide child & adolescent, adult, and forensic psychiatric services.
- Staff Psychiatrist, Juvenile Justice Mental Health Program 08/2012 to Present
Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, Los Angeles, California Provide psychiatric evaluation and treatment to children and adolescents in the custody
of the Los Angeles County Probation Department.
- Staff Inpatient Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist 11/2010 to 09/2012
Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center, Portland, Oregon Provided comprehensive psychiatric care on a 16 bed child and adolescent inpatient unit.
- Consultant for the California Attorney General’s Office (AGO) 11/2011 to 06/2012
UC Davis Department of Psychiatry, Forensic Division, Sacramento, California Worked with Dr. Charles Scott, M.D. to audit the psychiatric care provided through the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDRC).
- Forensic Psychiatric Consultant, Napa State Hospital 07/2011 to 06/2012
UC Davis Department of Psychiatry, Forensic Division, Napa, California Provided forensic consultation to staff psychiatrists at Napa State Hospital on difficult
cases. Issues included: fitness for release of NGRI acquittees (including violence risk assessments), competence to stand trial, competence to refuse medical and psychiatric treatment, diagnostic clarification, malingering assessment, and optimization of psychiatric treatment.
- Forensic Psychiatric Evaluator, Sacramento County Court Panel 07/2011 to 06/2012
UC Davis Department of Psychiatry, Forensic Division, Sacramento, California
- Staff Psychiatrist, Sacramento County Main Jail 07/2011 to 06/2012
UC Davis Department of Psychiatry, Forensic Division, Sacramento, California Provided psychiatric care at the Sacramento County Main Jail.
- Staff Inpatient Psychiatrist, Peace-Health Medical Group 11/2010 to 06/2011
Eugene, OregonWorked independently providing adult psychiatric care on a 36 bed inpatient unit.
- Staff Psychiatrist, San Fernando Valley Mental Health Clinic 07/2008 to 06/2009
Van Nuys, California Worked independently providing psychiatric evaluations and treatment within a program
called Field Capable Clinic Services. The program is for clients who are at risk of
institutional placement, have difficulty stabilizing or engaging in traditional mental health services, are repeatedly in and out of hospitals and emergency rooms, and have difficulty meeting initial goals of mental health recovery.
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry 01/2002 to 05/2002
Messiah College, Grantham, Pennsylvania Taught sophomore organic chemistry, general chemistry for nursing students, and
advanced analytical chemistry for one semester.
- Teaching Assistant 08/1997 to 05/1999 University of California, Riverside Taught laboratory courses and conducted tutoring sessions for sophomore organic chemistry students.
Research Assistant 06/1997 to 07/2002 University of California, Riverside
MICHAEL J. MARSELLA, Ph.D. (Principal Investigator) Designed, synthesized, and
characterized molecular muscles (electromechanical actuators), double helical
macromolecules, molecule-based electrooptical switches, conjugated molecules with novel architectures, and potential phototherapeutic anti-tumor drugs.
- 1) Marsella, M. J.; Reid, R. J. Toward molecular muscles: Design and
synthesis of an electrically conducting poly[cyclooctatetrathiophene].
Macromolecules 1999, 32, 5982-5984.
- 2) Marsella, M. J.; Wang, Z. Q.; Reid, R. J.; Yoon, K. Synthesis of
acetylenic cyclophanes via intramolecular self- assembly: Evidence of
perfluorophenyl-phenyl quadrupole interactions in the solution state.
Organic Letters 2001, 3, 885-887.
- 3) Marsella, M. J.; Reid, R. J.; McCormick, M. T. A new technique for
monitoring real-time dimensional changes in polymeric electromechanical
actuators and vaporesistive sensors. Synthetic Metals 2001, 118, 171-
- 4) Marsella, M.J.; Reid, R.J.; Estassi, S.; Wang, L.S. Tetra[2,3-thienylene]:
A building block for single-molecule electromechanical actuators. Journal of
the American Chemical Society 2002, 124, 12507-12510.
- 5) Charles Scott, MD.; Barbara McDermott, PhD.; David Bobb, MD.; Rodney
Reid, MD, PhD. Malingering Assessments in a Correctional Environment.
Correctional Health Care Report 2012, Volume 13, Number 05, 65-71.
Reid RJ, Bobb D, Newman W, Roof J. Civil “Harassment” Lawsuits: Bullies, Bosses, and Bigots. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Psychiatry and
the Law, Boston MA, October 2011.
Reid RJ. Overview of Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities. Presented to the
Center for Continuous Improvement (CCI) staff, Oregon City, Oregon, June 2011.
Reid RJ. Poly[tetra(2,3-thienylene)]: Progress toward molecule-based actuation.
Presented at the American Chemical Society National Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 26-
Reid RJ. Toward molecular muscles: Poly([4n]annulene)s. Presented at the American
Chemical Society National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 26-30, 2000
Honors and Awards
GAANN Fellowship 2000-2001
Member, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Committee, American Academy of Psychiatry
and the Law, 2012-present
Resident Representative, Oregon Council of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2010-2011
American Psychiatric Association American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law